Friday, September 9, 2011

Moths of August

August seems to be the best month of the year for moth activity in Massachusetts, though it's hard to tell for sure with less than 2 years of moth-watching under my belt. This year seems like it has been a bit of an off year in terms of moths, but I've started to keep track of the moths I see every night in my little nature notebook. I plan to have a much better understanding of the nature of my area of Massachusetts within a few years, especially in the areas not easily found in books, like moths. Anyways, here are some of the moths I managed to get pictures of this past August. I'm fairly certain about the IDs, but I'm open to any corrections.

Blurry Chocolate Angle Macaria transitaria

Goldenrod Hooded Owlet Cucullia asteroides

One-Spotted Variant Hypagyrtis unipunctata

Celery Looper Anagrapha falcifera

Master's Dart Feltia herilis

Unarmed Wainscot Leucania inermis

Large Maple Spanworm Prochoerodes lineola

Large Maple Spanworm Prochoerodes lineola

Clover Looper Caenurgina crassiuscula

Copper Underwing Amphipyra pyramidea

Large Maple Spanworm Prochoerodes lineola

Pink-Spotted Dart Pseudohermonassa bicarnea

Pondside Pyralid Moth Munroessa icciusalis

Curve-Toothed Geometer Eutrapela clemataria

Blackberry Looper (tan morph?) Chlorochlamys chloroleucaria

Unarmed Wainscot Leucania inermis

Pale Beauty Campaea perlata

Mint-Loving Pyrausta Moth Pyrausta acrionalis

Copper Underwing with an Oblong-Winged Katydid

Dingy Cutworm Moth Feltia jaculifera

Armyworm Spodoptera frugiperda

Sensitive Fern Borer Papaipema inquaesita

Master's Dart Feltia herilis

No comments:

Post a Comment