Monday, June 27, 2011

Moth season underway

When I'm very busy with work and am prevented from going out birdwatching like the last two months, the moths are the ones that bail me out, and they've started to come out in full force the last few weeks. So far I haven't seen very many new species for me, but the season is just getting under way. Many of the moths that I've seen so far are some of the very recognizable ones I saw several times last year. So here are the moths:

Toothed Brown Carpet

Pink-Barred Pseudeustrotia - what a mouthful

Porcelain Gray, not a very showy moth

Pale-Marked Angle, also not showy

Brown Bark Carpet

Pale-Marked Angle & Brown Bark Carpet

Green Pug - these have been out consistently for several weeks now 

One-Spotted Variant, usually one or two show up every night

Grape Leaffolder species pair (there's two very closely related species that look exactly the same, in the genus Desmia, so bugguide.net calls them a species pair

Sharp-Angled Carpet

Another picture of a Sharp-Angled Carpet

Finally! A really cool moth: the Wavy-Lined Emerald

Yellow-Fringed Dolichomia

Yellow-Fringed Dolichomia

Lesser Maple Spanworm, first seen on 6/19 and so far every non-rainy night since. They've only maxed out at 7 so far this year, but one night last summer I counted 42!

First Blackberry Looper of the year, one that seemed to show up often but unpredictably last year

Common Idia, a moth that I personally think looks pretty cool, though American Idias look cooler)

No comments:

Post a Comment